Neediest Cases 2017

We have more needy cases than ever so far this year.  Many of them are the young or very old. We try to limit our fundraising to a few times a year but neediest cases come in all the time.  Frequently we are “the rescue of last resort” who will help a dog that other groups have passed by. Your tax-deductible donation helps save our neediest cases who can also be found here and here.  We’re happy to say that many of our neediest cases this year have been adopted!

Many of the neediest cases below are in foster homes and need caring, compassionate adopters.  Donations are always appreciated but please consider helping a neediest case by adopting one.


Gracie (11/20/17)
Double Patella Luxation


We received an owner surrender form for this one-year old Pyr in Ohio in late June. She was doing the things that young dogs who hadn’t been properly managed do. We couldn’t take her over the summer because rescue is too busy with all the dogs coming in from shelters. Gracie was turned into our Springfield kennel in October and after a few weeks we noticed that something was wrong with her gait. She was x-rayed early in November and brought into MedVet in Ohio where the diagnosis of a congential condition, luxating patella was made on both knees. She also shows signs of hip displaysia but the vet feels this will correct itself when Gracie’s knees are fixed. The estimated cost for Gracie’s surgery is $4,000. 




Jerry (10/20/17)
Pup With Parvo

Ben and Jerry are two Pyr mix pups who were owner surrenders from Kentucky in September. Both of them had two DHPPV (parvo/distemper) shots. They were at their foster home for a month when inexplicably Jerry (left) started vomiting and having diarrhea. Ben was fine and never showed any sign of being sick.  Jerry was rushed to our Louisville vet where he was diagnosed with parvovirus. It was touch and go for the first few days he was hospitalized. He was finally released six days after he was admitted after racking up a $1,100 bill for a stay in intensive care. Ben (right) never got sick but he had to forgo wearing his costume and being in the Louisville Halloween parade.  Jerry is still looking for a home.



London (10/13/17)
Bridge to Hope

Update 12/9: London has been adopted by an NGPR family in New Jersey.

London was found hiding in a field in Kentucky in an area where nobody saw her before and people often dump unwanted dogs. Despite her lack of fur, it was clear she’s a Great Pyrenees. London wasn’t easy to catch but once indoors she couldn’t have been any sweeter. She’s only about 3 years old, weighs 50 lbs. with a body index just above death, .05. Her mange is probably the worst we’ve ever seen. She recently had puppies but we have no idea what happened to them. London  has been moved to a Louisville foster and bathed in antifungal/antiseptic shampoo to start to address all the secondary skin infections all dogs get when they have mange. Her skin is rough and scaly with either open sores or dried scabs all over. Bits of black dead skin sloughed off all over the tub. She will be started on antibiotics and treatment for the mange that will be get her on the road to recovery.  


Abe  (9/29/17)

This poor dog was scheduled to be euthanized at a Kentucky Dog Pound. A sadistic Animal Control Officer let Abe get beat up by the same pitbull twice. The first time it ripped his ear and neck open (top, left) and when he returned from the vet,  the same pit bull was put in with Abe again and he broke Abe’s jaw and smashed a few teeth. We found out about Abe when he was at the vet’s office on limited time. We pulled him and he turns out to be a nice quiet boy who jumped right into a crate in the foster’s van and then right into a kennel. Not a peep after that. He may be choosy about what dogs he likes after his bad experience with the pit bull but he isn’t one of those dogs who starts a fight unprovoked.  He looks much better now (bottom, right) and is available for adoption here.



Wally (9/20/17)

Update 12/10: Wally has been adopted by Howard and Dana. See Wally take off in this video taken just a couple of days ago.

We have been saying for years that we don’t mess with Texas and leave the rescue there to our very capable rescue partners, GPRS and SPIN. But Wally was really in jam. He sat in the Fort Worth shelter for two weeks and had no one to  take him after he was pulled. Everyone feared the worst; he was HBC (Hit By Car) and it was possible that he might never walk again. Euthanasia was advised by one vet but others were more hopeful. Pauline, the caring volunteer who pulled him from the shelter, drove him to Texas A&M.  After doing a CT scan, it was determined that the injury was too close to his sciatic nerve to operate safely. He was checked in there on a Friday and much to everyone’s amazement, walked out of there on his own four legs the following Wednesday. With the help of Twyla, he found a wonderful foster, Howard, not far from Texas A&M where he continues to thrive and make progress. NGPR has spent $3,500 on Wally’s care to date.



Grant the Highway Guy  (9/13/17)

Update 11/30: Grant has been adopted to a home in Michigan.

Update 9/16: Joye, his foster says: “After a few hours of cutting out mats, bathing, brushing, cutting nails and treating wounds he is looking better, smelling a LOT better and hopefully feeling better. He hates to get wet but he loves to be brushed. Despite all the torture, he never got grumpy. He loves people and appears to have been in a house before. At least he came right in and found the dog bed like he has been in a house his whole life!”

He was picked up lying on the side of Highway 30 in Kentucky by a wonderful Good Samaritan who stopped to help him. So many others drove on by… He was just too weak to walk or even stand up. He has several tick borne diseases, sarcoptic mange, badly infected ears and an embedded collar. Our highway guy will need long-term care. We begged repeatedly for fosters to no avail so Joye in Louisville ended up taking him.  Grant is still on medical hold.

A Mauled Mom (9/12/17)

This girl was chained at a trailer park in Eastern Kentucky. Sadly she was attacked by other dogs and had her leg chewed off. She also had a litter of puppies and two of them are in our care. She just came in to rescue and is in the process of being vetted. There’s a stump left where her leg was with bits of bone and flesh hanging down.  She will need surgery and long-term care. Amazingly, she couldn’t be any sweeter and we are all hoping for a great recovery for her. Cordelia has been moved to other rescue.


Poor Gibbs  (9/13/17)


Update 11/30: Gibbs gets to keep his leg and his foster is adopting him.

Gibbs came in from a crowded Ohio shelter with a badly broken leg. He is so frightened and has the most pleading eyes we’ve ever seen. He has been in tremendous pain for some time now and will need surgery at a specialty vet. The broken bones in his leg have fused together because he was left in this condition for so long. He is a very sweet and gentle guy and we want to get him the help he needs.  Gibbs will be operated on MedVet in Ohio in November for an estimated $3-4,000 and we are optimistic that his leg can be saved.





Buddy’s Nose  (9/14/17)

Update 12/8: Buddy had his antifungal treatment at Nashville Veterinary Specialities. The jury is still out on whether the infusion antibiotic will eliminate the fungal infection that spread to both nostrils.

Beautiful Buddy came in from a goat farm in Tennessee. He had a bloody discharge from his nose so we have been treating him with antibiotics for a sinus infection. After a CT scan was done it was determined that Buddy has a fungal infection eating away at his sinuses and spreading into his brain. He is such a sweetheart and just a year old. Buddy will need surgery to directly infuse the anti-fungal agent into his sinus cavities. His foster mom adores him and we are trying to raise the money needed for his surgery.  Rescue paid $1500 for the diagnostic CT scan and rhinoscopy but the infusion treatment needed to fight his nasal fungal infection will cost another $1800.




Toby (8/1/17)
Couldn’t Leave Him!

Update: Toby has been adopted as of 10/24 by a family in Canada.

The Humane Society of Crawford County, OH emailed us July 31 about a Pyr who came in to the shelter, tied in the back of an open utility trailer. He had terrible skin, bad ears and had been starved so he was marked for release to rescue only.

Cara, the volunteer who went to see him the next day, didn’t hesitate to pick Toby up and bring him back to our Springfield kennel. He’s been to the vet for a thorough checkup, had the first of several medicated baths for his horrible skin infection and has been enjoying the all the food, treats and attention he’s been getting. 



Rumpole  (8/1/17)
Not of Anywhere

Update 10/10: Rumpole has been adopted and found his furever home with a famiy in Massachusetts.

A text and surrender form came in Tuesday morning from Kentucky for this sad case. “This is a stray I found running the streets today; he is sick and extremely skinny, covered in sores and horribly matted. He is about 75 pounds underweight and has terrible black tar diarrhea, needs medical help.”  Joye, our Kentucky volunteer, jumped on it right away and got him to the vet that day. She writes “He tested positive for Ehrlichia. He is dehydrated from vomiting and his blood work shows he also is anemic and has a high white blood count. My vet said these symptoms are indicative of an acute case of Ehrlichia. He is at the vet’s office on an IV and antibiotics. Rumpole is down to about half of his ideal body weight. He weighs 68 lbs. and he is a very tall big boy that I expect should weigh about 120 at least. I expect him to make a full if slow recovery since he is battling starvation as well. The blood work showed his organs are in good shape which was a big worry for me. I couldn’t sleep last night because I was so worried about him and I spent a couple of hours really early this morning brushing him. He gave me a ton of kisses, pretty much washed my face completely and you know how unusual that is. That is how sweet this boy is. I doubt the grooming made him feel better but it helped me feel better since that was all I could do for him.”


Cyndi and Blondi (7/1/17)
Two Pups in Need

Update 9/19: Cyndi and Blondie have both been adopted by families in New York.

These pups from the Rock Star litter were born in Louisiana. At eleven weeks old. Blondie was hospitalized due to a severe infestation of round worms. Then Cyndi was rushed to the emergency vet with vomiting and bloody diarrhea. She was diagnosed with parvo and hospitalized through July 4th.  As of  7/9, the girl’s expenses totaled $4,000.

Babe (6/24/17)
Abandoned at 12

Update 8/19:  Babe’s tumor, swelled to the size of a softball, burst. She was humanely euthanized on Saturday, leaving a hole in all our hearts.

Babe comes to us from a Tennessee shelter where we couldn’t leave her to die. Her owners said they were moving and dumped her there. They didn’t move. They just used that as an excuse to get rid of her.

We discovered a large soft tumor on the side of her neck. The tumor is a soft tissue sarcoma and is migrating toward her spine, which was verified via ultrasound. Due to the size  of the tumor and and Babe’s age it will not be removed. Our vet did draw some blood to check her kidney and liver functions, trimmed her nails and cleaned her ears.  She is enjoying her freedom with her Kentucky foster family, spending her time outside lying in a dirt hole in the shade. She’s still a pretty spry girl who at 107 lbs. loves to eat.


Falkor (5/31/17)
Missouri Cemetery Boy

Update 6/28:  We are very say to say that  Falkor passed late Wednesday evening.  In addition to the severe pancreatitis, blood tests showed an extremely elevated calcium level indicating cancer. Thank you to everyone who donated to his care.

As posted on Facebook “There is a very sweet and friendly Pyrenees at the cemetery, near the Church. He is starving. He has no collar. He is too big for my car but wanted to go home with me. He seems to have the kindest demeanor. Is anyone out there able to rescue this kind soul?  I didn’t have a cracker to give him. He came wandering in when I was visiting the cemetery.” 

Someone did go save him.  She drove three hours to get him and bring him to a vet. She named him Falkor and he is in terrible shape; starving and only weighing 58 pounds. His kidneys aren’t functioning properly and he’s anemic. The good news is that Falkor is heartworm negative and young enough to improve  with proper treatment and care. We deeply appreciate the assistance of the donors who are contributing to his care and we’ll keep everyone updated on his progress.

Fluffy (5/18/17)
Not So Fluffy

Update 10/15: Fluffy is being adopted by her foster Mom, Jenna. This sweet and stoic senior has a mischievous streak that surprised her foster mom with her sneaky counter surfing. Fluffy will need medication for Cushing’s Syndrome and heart disease for the rest of her life.

Fluffy was seen wandering around the highway in Kentucky for a while before she was picked up. She was posted locally but nobody claimed or wanted her. She is not feral and actually turns out to be a very sweet  girl who was abandoned by her family. Fluffy is a bit older than we originally thought. She was eaten up with whips, hooks, and tapes and suffering from heat exhaustion. She went to a foster and then back to the vet for IV fluids and a shot for infection as she was running a 105 degree fever. We feared the worst as her liver was not functioning and her enzymes were up. She improved gradually but then we learned Fluffy has a heart murmur and a slightly enlarged heart. Her liver enzymes continue to be slightly elevated, probably due to a gallbladder problem. The vet wants to do an EKG to determine what type of heart problem Fluffy has so he can provide the correct medication. Our expenses for Fluffy will total $1,000 or more.


Millie (5/14/17)
Messed Up But Still Standing

Update 8/25: Millie has been adopted by Janet, a longtime NGPR volunteer in Tennessee.

Update 7/1: Millie got her stitches out this week and got a much needed bath. She is feeling so much better and has even been trotting and running a bit in the backyard, wagging her tail and doing some happy dances. She is the sweetest, most stoic girl on the planet. Here she is modeling a new scarf her foster Mom made for her!

Update 6/9: Millie had an ear ablation (removal of ear canal and tumor) at Metropolitan Veterinary in Louisville.  The tumor was cancerous but the surgeon feels he got clean margins and it did not metastasize. This senior’s surgery and care has cost rescue over $2,500.

Millie came from a Kentucky shelter in mid-May after being on stray hold although there was no reason on earth to return to her to where she came from! She had a large tumor in her ear and an open wound on her throat from a collar that was too tight. It got wet and harbored maggots in a nasty infection around her neck. Her coat was matted to the skin; she is thin and covered with ticks. Millie is a bit wobbly in the back end but she’s moving around.  As you can see, now she’s been cleaned up and shaved. The accessible part of her ear tumor has been lasered out and sent off to be biopsied. When she was under anesthesia, her teeth were cleaned, her nails dremeled down and three pounds of matted, filthy fur were shorn off. Millie may never leave rescue but she will not die unloved and uncared for somewhere under a hedge.





Jyp (5/10/17)
Deaf, Heartworm + and Crippled

Update: Jyp had her first surgery 8/15 and has been adopted by her foster Mom.

Jyp has been in rescue since December but it was only recently that the full extent of her physical problems became apparent. She’s only a year old so her foster Mom in New Hampshire knew something was wrong when she noticed Jyp was limping.  She was diagnosed her with a congenial problem, luxating patellas, on both knees. First one knee will be fixed and then the other at an estimated cost of $3,500.

Jyp is totally deaf but she doesn’t know there’s anything wrong with her. She is learning sign language and understands sit, good girl, come, and the sign for “stop” or “no”. She is also working on lay down. Jyp is a true Pyr, so sometimes she comes and sometimes she doesn’t. She’s a brave, sweet girl and we want to do everything we can to make her life better.


Lily (4/28/17)
Gimpy Girl From AL

Update  12/3: Lily is now in Florida and has been adopted. 

Update 5/8: Lily had her leg amputated as her damaged leg had fused together and could not be functional. She is doing well as a tripod. She looked so sweet at the vet’s office (below), a lady planted a kiss on her forehead. 

Here’s Lily, our newest neediest case. She’s so new in fact,  we are waiting for an assessment on the broken leg her owners didn’t bother to fix when it happened a month ago. Lily was picked up as a stray, which may be the best break she’s every had. She was in such sad shape, Animal Control brought her to a vet’s office instead of taking her to the shelter. Lily’s very skinny and doesn’t walk on her leg; she uses the stump for support to balance her. She’s a young dog and this is a sad way for her to live her life. She has an appointment next week with an orthopedic surgeon in Birmingham who will tell us what can be done for this poor girl.


Hansel & Gretel (4/16/17)
Escape from Hell

Update 10/1: Gretel was adopted to a family in Kentucky on 8/22 and Hansel has been adopted to a home in Massachusetts.

Update 5/11: Here are Hansel and Gretel after a month in rescue. They are actually white after having a spa day! Both of these sweeties need an adoptive home, so please visit to apply for them. 

An insurance adjuster notified the authorities that the dogs in a south-central Tennessee yard were in terrible shape. Hansel & Gretel are sorry-looking Pyr mixes, two of the many dogs who were kept by a hoarder on 10 ft chains. They have been brought to the vet and are severely emaciated with serious skin issues and mange. Their body scores only registered 2 out of a possible 10. Both are heartworm positive and have bad ears. Gretel has an ear infection in one ear that is difficult to treat, pseudomonas. 

Despite all this, they are good-natured dogs, sweet and friendly, who love people and seem soooo thankful to be out of the miserable circumstances they lived in for too many years. They are currently being fostered in Kentucky. 


Georgie (3/24/17)
We Gotcha Guy

Update 7/2: Georgie has been adopted to a family in New Jersey and George is heartworm negative!

This sweet old senior boy came to rescue from a Tennessee shelter. He’s 7- 10 years old and was treated for heartworm but still has a heart murmur. He may not have all the time in the world left but we hope we can see him with a family. He’s so mellow and nice with other dogs that they use him to temperament test all of the other dogs at the shelter.

He  loves people and just wants to lay down and put his head on your feet. Georgie arrived in really rough shape but he couldn’t be any sweeter. He had an echocardiogram done which shows damage to the valves on either side of his heart. We hope we can get this nice old boy in a great home for whatever time he has left.



Marisa and Pups (3/22/17)
A Mom’s Legacy

Update 5/7: Both pups, Nike and Fila are adopted!

Marisa came into rescue with her puppies last week from an awful Kentucky shelter. The pups are just six to seven weeks old. Nike (right pup) came down with Parvo virus, was taken to the vet and put on IV fluids, Tamiflu and antibiotics. Little Fila (left pup) tested negative so she got a anti-nausea shot and diarrhea meds and is under watch. Marisa, their Mom, was hospitalized with Parvo symptoms on Tuesday. We thought she was doing better but she passed overnight at the vets Wednesday night. Parvo hits older dogs harder. It’s so important to vaccinate to avoid this horrible disease. RIP sweet Marisa; we will take good care of your pups. 




Molly (3/17/17)
Let’s Make Molly Better

Update 6/23: Molly has an adopter!

Update 5/15: Molly’s leg had to be amputated but she is doing well!

Molly’s just a pup, only seven or eight months old, but she’s been returned to the Tennessee shelter she came from twice. Somewhere along the line, her femur was broken and left to heal on its own. We will get her leg x-rayed to determine what can be done. For young dogs like Molly, it can be possible to pin and plate her leg so it heals properly. Femur fractures in young dogs heal very quickly; because young dogs have open growth plates so we are optimistic something can be done to help Molly regain full mobility.



Ice Cube (3/6/17)
Needs New Knees

Update 3/22: Ice Cube had her second surgery on her right knee yesterday. Still very groggy from the anesthesia and pain killers but she did wag her tail when she saw her foster brothers. Back to wearing the cone for a couple of days and a lot of rest is what Dr. Steve ordered.

Ice Cube is a 12-week old Pyr pup rescued by Great Pyrenees Rescue of Oklahoma. This sweet little lady was diagnosed by an ortho specialist with a very serious case of genetic patellar luxations and requires surgery to repair. Her knee caps are growing all the way on the side of her knee joints causing her lameness and pain; without surgery she will be unable to walk or stand in a matter of months due to the progressive abnormal conformation of the knee and hip joints, femur and tibia that will occur as she continues to grow and gain in size/weight.Her surgery estimate for both knees is over $2,000.


Dreamweaver (2/24/17)
Cannot Catch a Break

Dreamer passed in April; she developed several cancerous growths that were removed but we don’t know what went on internally. She appeared as a neediest case back in September when she was brought in flat out to a vet office in Tennessee. She recuperated from her heat exhaustion, mange  and extreme neglect but cancer got her in the end. Earlier this year her foster noticed an odd growth on her face. When the vet examined her closely, he was alarmed; it was a growth dangerously close to her orbital socket and nasal cavity. The surgery went well and removed three growths on the left cheek, the right front leg, and behind her left ear. Despite this, she passed in peace after six months of loving care in rescue. 



Mattie  (2/14/17)
Some Love for a Sad Senior

Update 6/20: Mattie is adopted!

Mattie came to us on Valentine’s Day from an Ohio shelter. She is seven years old and unfortunately looks it, suffering from years of neglect. She was extremely matted with what appears to be flea dermatitis on her rump so severe, it’s been completely denuded and raw. 

Her rear feet appear to be almost flattened to the extent that her dew claws were dragging on the floor. Now that she’s been released from initial veterinary care, we’re trying to make her more comfortable and time will tell what else she needs.  She’s making a temporary stop at the kennel in Springfield but will be going to a volunteer who can give her more individualized care and attention. We are on what will probably be a long journey to make Mattie healthy and happier. Mattie needs our help.




Simon (2/14/17)
Not the Foot, the Hip!

Update Simon 2/19:  Simon’s hip needs a total replacement. He had to be wheeled from the car to vet clinic at OSU. Cost of his surgery is $5k to Rescue. Since he is a young, very sweet-tempered dog and the procedure is straight forward, we are giving him a fighting chance. This definitely wasn’t in the budget!

This boy was surrendered 3 days ago to a Kentucky shelter. He is just a year-and-a-half old, matted and covered with cockle-burrs. Shelter emailed asking for help for him because he has a hurt foot. He was there all weekend and today they said he seemed to be in a lot of pain. The vet finally saw him and his hurt foot turned out to be a dislocated hip. Rads were done at the local vet clinic and although they tried to pop his hip back into place, it did not stay in place and the area around the hip socket shows signs that he has been in this condition for a while.  Simon is being moved today for an evaluation at Ohio State and most likely FHO (femoral hip osteotomy) surgery, like Lucky below.


Precious Gracie (2/10/17)
If Only We Could

This is not a happy ending, but a very sad and typical thing we see in rescue each week. We were alerted to Gracie’s plight by a call from a Good Samaritan in Alabama who found her on the side of the road. She had been hit by a car and was in very bad shape. The woman couldn’t pay the vet bill to help her so she reached out to rescue. The first vet she saw knew that Gracie’s legs were shattered and she could have spinal damage as well. NGPR got her to a specialty vet who did x-rays which confirmed her rear legs were shattered. After diagnostic tests, more x-rays and agonizing hours, it was determined we should let Gracie go. Our Al volunteers, Jim and Joyce, made sure she was kept comfortable on pain medication and knew that she was loved if even for a short time.  The day before, while doing a rescue transport in Alabama,  Jim found another Pyr hit by a car dead on the road. Now the next day, this girl was found. She had no tags, no collar and hardly any chance but a number of people tried very hard to help her. In the end they did, in the only way she could be helped. Please stop the indiscriminate breeding of Great Pyrenees—there are way too many urgent and dying in shelters. Please keep them safe in secure fencing and don’t get one if you don’t have proper fencing.  It is so sad to see them dying every day. It is awful and breaking our hearts.

Gus (2/7/17)
RIP Good Guy Gus

Gus was pulled from a Utah shelter because he wasn’t eating.  Great Pyrenees Rescue Montana volunteers wanted to get him back on his feet by getting him out and evaluated. When he was examined, the vet found a mass between the tonsils and nasal cavity which was removed and sent out for a biopsy. The results of his blood tests were not good, with high levels in some critical areas. High potassium levels indicated a possible kidney problem and swollen lymph nodes pointed to lymphoma. The vet tried syringe feeding but Gus fought it. Everyone is heart broken but with a cancer prognosis and inclination not to eat,  Gus is telling us that it’s time for him to cross the rainbow bridge. Rescue spent close to $1,000 to evaluate and care for Gus. It didn’t work for him but may for the next dog we help.


Mutt in Ohio  (2/5/17)
Jeff’s Brother, Finally

Update Mutt 4/19:  Mutt & Jeff are together (left)! Mutt has been adopted and will live with Jeff.

April When Jeff was taken in a cruelty seizure in January 2016, his brother Mutt was left behind. We waited anxiously to hear about Mutt, but it wasn’t until 11 months later in November that his owners agreed to release him to rescue. He has been diagnosed with both demodetic and sarcoptic mange and after two months our vet is still battling the sarcoptic using medication and antibiotics since it has proved so resistant. With his extended care and medication, Jeff has run up bills of over $1000. Please click on the donate button above to help get Mutt mange-free.


Vail and Vida (1/28/17)
Pups Who Need Treatment!

Update 9/24:  Vail has been adopted!

Vail and Vida have been diagnosed with neosporosis, a disease that pups can contract from their moms in utero. It’s caused by a parasite that occurs more commonly with cattle but affects dogs, too. It has muscular and neurological impacts as the dogs grow. These pups are suffering from hyperextension of their rear legs but medication and rehab is helping them improve dramatically. A special fundraiser, which is not tax-deductible, has been set up for them to cover the estimate of $10,000 for their care. Please click here to help Vail and Vida.


April from Alabama (1/27/17)
Poor April is a Mess!

Update 6/13:  April has an adopter!

April is a new girl who arrived recently from an Alabama shelter. She is a year-and-a-half old. For such a young dog, she is suffering from a terrible mange condition, secondary skin infections, emaciated and loaded with worms. April is only 65 pounds now so she needs to gain another 40  pounds or so to be at a normal weight.  April will need to spend several months in rescue recovering before she can be placed. Please click on the donate button above to help us with  April’s long term care.


Mounty from Kentucky (1/19/17)
Diagnois HBC  (Hit By Car)







Update 6/24: Mounty is being adopted by his foster Mom, Jenna!

Mounty, age ten, was lying by the side of the road for two days before he was picked up and brought to the shelter after being hit by a car. He’s in horrible condition after years of neglect; the dew claws on both sides of his feet were completely ingrown. Not sure what can be done for him at this point, other than to keep him comfortable. He is favoring his back left leg, although none of his limbs are in great condition. In addition to his impact trauma, the vet has diagnosed degenerative joint disease. It appears both are ACLs chronically torn and all his joints are swollen and inflamed. His initial assessment and care cost around $800 to do. He’s a pretty sedentary guy and been prescribed NSAIDs and Dasuquin to make him more comfortable for now and he seems to be doing better.

Jim from Texas (1/18/17)
A Rescue of Last Resort

Update 2/11: Good news for Jim, he has been transferred to another rescue who can give him specialized care. The funds raised will travel with him.

Jim is blind. We agreed to pull him from a Texas shelter when no one else would. Our foster in Lafayette, LA agreed to take him and keep him on her farm until a foster or adopter could be found. He’s a really nice dog and doing great as he learns how to navigate his new space. Good news for Jim, he has been transferred to another rescue who can give him specialized care and the funds raised will travel with him.


Lucky in Alabama (1/4/17)
Not So Lucky, Up to Now

Update 6/16: Lucky has an adopter from Pennsylvania who driving to Alabama to pick him up!

Kimberly writes: A few weeks ago we got a call saying Lucky had been finally caught after six weeks of a Good Samaritan trying to catch him. I had just said a tearful goodbye to my foster, Zoey, who was adopted the day I went to meet Lucky. As if his sad eyes weren’t enough, I stuck my fingers through the cage and Lucky put his paw in my fingers and then squeezed tight. That’s how he became my new foster. He was very underweight and heartworm positive. After his recovery from his neuter, I noticed he was not putting weight on his leg and he was chewing on himself…A LOT. He was x-rayed and we found his rear was peppered with buckshot. He also apparently suffered a big trauma to his hip—most likely hit by a car. Lucky had an FHO (femoral hip osteotomy) on 1/4/17  at a cost of $2,000 to fix his hip. Although I have picked two buck shots from his skin the rest will most likely remain. I am happy to report he has gained about 20 lbs., now weighing a nice 95.6 lb. Please send happy thoughts Lucky’s way as we continue to change his “luck“ and click the donate button above to help.


Titan (1/3/17)
Puppy in Distress!

Update 2/8: Titan (right), now called Hoppy, has been adopted to a wonderful home, his pins have been removed and his prognosis for a normal life is excellent. Life is good!

Titan (left) broke his jaw on New Year’s Day and no one knows how.  His family couldn’t afford the surgery to fix it and he would have been euthanized. They were told to contact rescue and our jaw dropped when we learned the cost of the surgery!

His family surrendered him to rescue Tuesday on 1/3 and he was operated on that night.  Little Titan (left), who is only 13 weeks old,  will have the pins in his jaw for six weeks. This was an expensive surgery that with aftercare will cost $5,000.

The prognosis is excellent for a full recovery as he is so young. His jaw should fuse together so he will have a normal bite as an adult. Please click on the donate button above to support our rescue of Titan.