What a Week It Has Been: Pyr with Fractured Pelvis, Leg Broken in Three Places in Eastern TN; Eight Owner Surrender Requests From Around the Country; Threat to Kill Gun-shot Pyr in AR
We spent Monday morning following up on a male Pyr mix at the shelter in Johnson City, TN. We heard he was hurt, and received his picture (below) on Tuesday. What a sweet face and we were glad to be told that he was very gentle, despite his pain and serious injuries.
Johnson City, TN Pyr waiting for rescue in the shelter.
The situation was pretty grim on Wednesday when he was diagnosed with a leg broken in three places and a fractured pelvis. FHO orthopedic surgery was recommended and estimated at $1200–a little bit of a shock because the early assessment was a broken leg. On Thursday, he was heart worm tested and thankfully he has turned out to be negative. Even better, on Friday the shelter contact said that they raised the money for his surgery to be done down there. We will need to make arrangements for his flight to the Northeast and fostering but we have gotten over the first hump and can start to make plans for this boy’s future.
We’ve had eight owner surrender requests since Sunday, February 13 from NE, CA, NY (2), KY, PA, ID and OH. The week’s first surrender form was from a rescuer who took in a stray Pyr on a reservation and was concerned that the Pyr could be eaten if not rescued. This week has been so busy we have now asked another volunteer to work with Jodi Bialik, our surrender coordinator, because of the volume of requests we have been receiving. The surrender program is critical because it keeps Pyrs out of shelters. It gives Pyr owners and finders of strays advice, connects them to rescues in their area and provides an educated alternative to dumping dogs or putting them on Craig’s list.
On Saturday, we got a death threat on a Pyr in AR. It was sent to GPRS in Houston, our rescue partner, and they forwarded it National Pyr where it was received before 10 a.m. EST. The subject of the e-mail was “Dog” and it said:
“I live in Dardanelle, Arkansas, a great white showed up on my porch yesterday and was bleeding. I don’t have money for a vet bill. If I can’t get rid of him I will put him down. He’s a good dog and seems really calm but I can’t keep another. I currently have a broken leg so me moving him anywhere is out of the question. We live too far out for animal control to come get him/her. Let me know something asap please. He will not be alive tomorrow if I can’t find a home today. Give me a call. Thank you. Jake”
By 11, the first e-mails about “Dog” were going out and contact had been made with “Jake” before noon to let him know that Pyr rescue was on the case. E-mails and phone calls to other rescue groups and volunteers and contacts in the AR area followed.
Dandy (formerly "Dog") awaiting treatment at the emergency vet.
Theresa Martin in Vilonia, AR was one of the first to respond and she agreed to drive to Dardanelle, to pick “Dog” up Saturday afternoon, and bring him to Little Rock. Ragenea Thompson, a volunteer with Doomed Dogs, was available too and she agreed to meet Theresa at the emergency vet.
By 7:30 p.m., “Dog” now called Dandy, was at the emergency vet clinic in Little Rock. He had indeed been shot with a 22 and the bullet
Bullet in Dandy's Chest
was lodged in the left side of his chest. The clinic advised against removing it and Dandy was dosed with antibiotics, fully vaccinated and made comfortable until he could be moved to a boarding facility on Sunday.
It’s been a crazy week. We’re doing our best to stay on top of the rescue situation. If you can, please volunteer or donate to help our Pyrs. They find themselves in the darndest situations.